Tuesday, September 5, 2017

South Africa Bound...

Today is the beginning of an amazing journey for Elder O'Hagan. We dropped him off at the Salt Lake City Airport this morning and watched him go through security. It was as if he was walking through a magical portal into a whole new world filled with promise of grand adventure.


We were happy to share our precious final farewell moments with the Martinez family and Soren Barker (Emily Barker was there in spirit!). They each became an extension of our family when Connor transferred to Alta high school.  It's obvious to see how much they love him and for that we are grateful.  There is no such thing as too much unconditional love.




There were many Missionaries in the airport preparing to start their respective journey.  Grandma Huls introduced herself to most of them, asking each where they were going.  As soon as she met Elder Winn, who is also headed to Uganda, she brought him and his family over to meet us.  It was wonderful meeting his parents (exchanged contact info.) and I LOVE it that Elder Winn is a few inches taller than Elder O'Hagan.  Connor finally has someone he can look UP to.  They actually look to me as though they could be related.  


I was able to keep it together relatively well, until the last big hug when I didn't want to let Connor go. It's difficult to express everything I am feeling right now. Yes, I am filled with sadness and my heart seems like it has a huge "hole" in it. However, when I focus on the feeling of this "hole"...its not an empty hole in my heart.  It's as if my heart is expanding, making room for an increase of love that will definitely come as Connor grows and develops further into a truly remarkable man of God. His capacity to love others is incredible now. I look forward to witnessing it exponentially multiply as he serves his companions, leaders and the people of Eastern Africa.   


I hope with all of my motherly heart that Connor will have at least one photo similar to this one taken in Zambia during my visit (2013). Again, there is no such thing as too much unconditional, pure love. Love is the answer and it's the foundation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.


We love you Elder O'Hagan and we celebrate your decision to love and serve others.

Let the adventure begin!